Wednesday 18 July 2012

Sportster controls on XS650...

Up early this morning, work out the way, so cracked on with the controls at about 3 ish....

Basically cut the top off the left hand control and topped it on the bracket I made...




Needed a bit of tidying up to get the two parts to not look totally alien to each other. done the basic shaping - i'll finish it off at a later date....


The Brake side wasn't quite as easy - 

as you can see in this the bracket makes it sit really wide - too wide for my liking. the other issue was that the brake lever didn't want to play ball with the way I wanted to have the mount running from below. I either had to run the controls wide, or ditch the lever.....

The Lever was ditched!!!

this was the pin and pivot for the mechanism - i ended up turning down to within 10mm or so of the cutaway to give some much needed narrowing...



....and this is all I kept of the original bracket - again turned up in the lathe to get it a decent shape...



Cutting a long story short (ish) this is the new assembly as it is was loosely assembled...



I just had to use that STOP! pedal I etched ages ago! these are the main components....



I know the pivot underneath is rather large and ungainly - but i'll trim or drill that at a later date....



The sun even came out while I was playing!!!!



a few other bits I sorted - and adapter so my front brake operated (I say operated - not worked!!!!!)



Finally I had cut and punched this torque arm a while back - but my drill was playing up - plenty of cutting compound and it was given the holy treatment!!!

All in all a VERY productive 4 hours or so!

to top it off, i'm off out on the bike for a spin, and then to watch the new 6over DVD (all about building choppers!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment