Friday 17 July 2015

Born Free Part 2



So I’ll kick this off from where the last post left off, But I'm sure you will have seen the pictures of all the bikes already... 

I mentioned in my last post that Dave Bewick and I had slightly different views on bikes (literally), I had my face stuck right up close to the bikes, and Dave would take the whole bike in as a whole unit.

There is no right or wrong, but just different approaches. 

So #2 is all about the little details and bits that made me smile on the bikes I saw. These are just my Iphone snaps, and I have a camera full of more from the invited builders bikes that I'll get around to.

So I'll put a few comments around the shots and what I was thinking / think about each one...


Ryan has bought the Quicksilver back to life, pretty amazing to think when this bike was made - but its Drag styling is something that gets lost in a chopper show. Stripped back, small tank, nothing that isn't required on the bike, but it was done so nicely. This is the seat pan, not much fun on your bollocks, but makes sense down a drag strip..

Ryan had a second Lanza bike there, loved the rear muddy on this bike, look like chevy light to me (I'm probably wrong), but it definitely goes with my own ethos of trying to use things around you to inform your build.

Drilled out primary case was great - I wonder if it was an expensive part at the time, or something that the guy had lying around? whichever the case, it was great. Sometimes we can get all obsessive about the spacing / lining up of things, this was obviously done by eye, but done really well. 


Lovely old tank. The old stuff was definitely En Vouge, and I have to admit I loved this...




Oliver from Cut Rates bike - I've never used a cooler on a bike before - I thought this was awesome. I looked at those slots in the side for a while and was trying to fathom out how he bent it. then he was next to me and said it is stock like that - Ducati I think... I think he did have to bugger about and move some of the places where the lines went in and out...


Harpoons bike - one of the bikes I was really looking forward to seeing out there. Didnt dissapoint, the finish was unreal... Really loved the orange striping used all over the bike at various points. a new way to work transitions in my eyes..


Neat hidden mount for the sissy bar under the muddy...


You can see the flake in the paint really well in this shot, the moulding was quite deep - for my money I would have wanted to blow some paint in there, as there was a bit unpainted. (I'm not being a bitch or over critical, just expressing my opinion on the ONLY thing about this bike that could be improved)


Original looking Knuck lovelyness - this bike is just so nice and crusty all over...


Jeffs knuckle. Got a bit of a thing for this bike TBH.. the tank was great - the line work, how do you describe it - awesome but shitty at the same time....


Back to Cut Rate again, and this time a carbon fibre mudguard. Hard to get away with racey shit on a chop, but it was "on point" as they say....


This probably wont make much sense to you, but its the underside of the back of the tigershack trike from Last years BF. simple yet really effective. Best trike I've ever seen...


neat mount for the seat set-up on the trike. Simple IS best most of the time!


Fell in love with this ironhead out in the stalls, I would have to make something different for the seat bracket, but what a great bike this was.


I still cant work out if I was sold on this seat unit or not, but it was nicely made...



I went back to this bike a good few times over the 2 days, but each time the guy on the stall that knew anything about it wasn't there, looked to me like a 45 bottom end, maybe RL or something but with a OHC setup going on. Gonna ask a load more questions about this bike online as it tickled my barnacles! barrels looked homemade, or heavily modified ...

out in the grass pass parking. liked this little tank mount setup, my kinda detail - a bit of flash!

Striped grips! yeh. 2 sets cut up to make 1, you can see the glue, but looked really effective. felt really Japanese to me...

Smart headlight cowl. not sure if this was one of those ones you could buy for mega cash. or homemade. I figured that I could make one one day!

Nice henderson. cables were in the bars, and the cables wrapped in leather.... Cool!


Max's giveaway bike. Double tip on the muddy. Cool little detail on what was a very nice and understated bike.

The flames on Max' bike were under the tank. I like that - I like to hide little details on bikes and see who gets their mush right up close to the bike for a good old nose. 

I've a stack of photos of this bike. it was a VL done for born free maybe 2 years ago, and again I think someone won it. this was dripping with smart details like this seat setup. You may see one like it fairly soon!

Best tank I saw - would have taken this tank home had it been for sale. 

Cycle Zombies - they are defo the cool club, something that I'm not, but I couldn't help but to be drawn to all their bikes. That thrashed / old parts / ratty style really appeared to me. This though was Big Scotts bike, and a really neat light mount using the original holes in the frame. big tick on that one!

How to make your seat look good from every angle - build a chrome dish for it to fit into. Again, really nicely made.


Another CZ bike - Knuckle head with an Indian Chief front girder. I have had something in my head for quite some time now, and this made me want to make it there and then.... watch this space....




Simplicity - something I need to work on a bit. Foot peg mount - round bar with a bit on top - tick....


Satans Ménage  A Trois, what a bonkers thing - loved the tank on it, like a big set of bollocks!


Last one for now, Nicks bike was a UL flathead in a VL frame. Taking the best frame and fork combo and the nicest engine. This huge sprocket was ace, just what I have planned for the VL hillclimber...

More still to come, but that will have to do for now... until next the one...

No comments:

Post a Comment